SPS Home     SPS Intranet     E-PCS  

UO Policy
Find Funding
Related Links

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Send SPS Pre-award SPA a question on Grants.gov


What do I need to do to register with Grants.gov in order to submit a proposal?

Grants.gov is a federal website used to find Funding Opportunities and to access Grants.gov Workspace for the purpose of assembling Grants.gov Grant Applications to be submitted by Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) at the University of Oregon (UO). SPS is the authorized office at UO which is registered and authorized by UO to submit Grants.gov Applications via the Grants.gov website.

Grants.gov Workspace must be accessed to view and assemble the Forms associated with the Grants.gov application. In order to access Grants.gov Workspace, a Grants.gov user must be registered with Grants.gov.

To Register on Grants.gov, go to: Register on Grants.gov

Once you are registered, log into your new Grants.gov Account:

  • Then look to the top left of your screen and go to "My Account." Then look at the middle of your screen and select "Manage Profiles." Then, select "Add Profile."

  • Enter the UO's DUNS Number in the DUNS Number field, 079289626, and complete the new profile fields, then click "Save."

  • As soon as you do that, an automated e-mail from Grants.gov will be sent to SPS and SPS will then assign you the "Grants.gov Workspace" role. You will then have access to view and edit the Application Forms in Grants.gov Workspace.

Your SPS Pre-Award Sponsored Projects Administrator (SPA) is authorized by the University to submit the final Grants.gov Application for all programs that require submission through the Grants.gov web portal. Prior to submission, SPS Pre-Award SPAs review application forms, budgets and budget justifications, and other application materials and Forms for compliance with regulations and guidelines described in each Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA).SPS Pre-award SPA Unit Assignments can be viewed at the link below:

SPS SPA Unit Assignments

Please remember an Electronic Proposal Clearance System (EPCS) record is required in addition to the Grants.gov Application. The EPCS record should be created as early on as possible (recommended: at least 2 to 4 weeks prior to the external deadline). The EPCS record is an internal UO electronic system (not connected with Grants.gov) which must be completed and finalized by the UO PI at least three business days prior to the external deadline. Please contact your SPS Pre-Award Sponsored Projects Administrator (SPA) with questions or concerns about the required EPCS record.

If you are unsure of whom to contact at SPS, please e-mail sponsoredprojects@uoregon.edu and/or phone 541-346-5131.

In addition to the EPCS record noted above, the Grants.gov process may require special technical assistance. To ensure a successful Grants.gov application submission, SPS strongly encourages Grant application be ready for final review on Grants.gov at least 3 days prior to the external due date. This provides greater assurance that your proposal will be submitted successfully, allowing time for resubmission of the application, if necessary.

Information about Grants.gov, Searching for Funding Opportunities, using Grants.gov Workspace, and other Informational videos can found on the Grants.gov website at: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/home.html

What is a CFDA number?
A CFDA number is a unique number created in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) database. It tracks all domestically-funded Federal programs available to state and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally-recognized Indian tribal governments; territories (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public, quasi-public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups; and individuals.

Where do I find the information needed to complete a Grants.gov Workspace SF424 Cover page?
SPS has listed all the necessary information to complete a GAP cover page on our website at the SPS Cover Page.

If you have any additional questions, please contact your SPS Pre-Award SPA.

Who do I contact in SPS for assistance with completing a Grants.gov Application or an EPCS record?

Who do I contact for assistance with finding a grant, or for help with reviewing technical documents for a Grants.gov application?
Research Development Services (RDS) is available to assist with finding grant opportunities and to work with the departments on technical documents and content assistance. Please visit their webpage at http://rfd.uoregon.edu/ to review their available services or e-mail: rds@uoregon.edu.

Who do I contact at UO for help with a Data Management Plan?
For more information about Data Management Plans, Back-up and Storage or Data Planning, email ResearchDataMgmt@uoregon.edu.

Who do I contact at UO for help with Technology Transfer Services?
Innovation Partnership Services (IPS) is available to provide assistance with publishing and sharing data you generate under your award, in addition to many other services. For information about permissions and distribution, please visit the IPS website at http://techtran.uoregon.edu/ or email them at e-mail Technology Transfer Services, or call 6-3176.