677 East 12th Ave, Suite 500
Eugene, OR 97401
Phone: (541) 346-5131
Fax: (541) 346-5138
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5219
The office building is open Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM. Click on the "Staff" link for a listing of SPS personnel phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Please call ahead for arranging drop off or pick up of items at SPS after hours, or to schedule an appointment after hours.
The Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) works with the University community -- especially faculty principal investigators (PIs) and department grant administrators (DGAs) but also including UO administrative officials, business managers and affiliated organizations such as the UO Foundation -- to provide services in two main areas:
1) Proposal Preparation and Clearance --from application materials and budget assistance, to final review, official endorsement, and submission of proposals to funding agencies, public and private, for support of research, instruction, and public service projects.
2) Grant and Contract Administration --from inception by review and acceptance of awards and account set up, through the award's administration, financial reporting, and final closeout.
We invite you to contact SPS (main office 6-5131) for assistance with any of the activities described here.
Proposal Planning, Preparation and Submission
All proposals submitted -- in hard copy or electronically -- by UO faculty, students or staff to external funding sources (public and private sponsors) must be reviewed, cleared and endorsed by SPS on behalf of the University prior to submission. The following activities are handled by and through SPS:
- Assistance with the preparation of application forms and guidelines, required proposal certifications, and institutional information required by sponsors such as audit reports or tax ID.
- Preliminary review and approval (expedited by E-PCS or e-mail) of budgets before final proposal clearance. Budget instructions and rates are posted on SPS's web site and updated annually.
- Compliance areas such as human subjects or animal use are certified on proposals as approved or pending approval by institutional committees.
- An E-PCS record must be completed for each proposal submission, at which point it will be reviewed (along with the proposal) by SPS. After record is approved by SPS the PI should finalize it so the appropriate institutional approvals can be obtained.
- Mailing of the proposal if all required copies are provided before the deadline.
SPS is available for questions and assistance at every step of the proposal process.
Complete proposals, including the budget, must be submitted to SPS 3 working days before the deadline to allow for full review and approval. Early contact with SPS staff is strongly encouraged to help ensure efficient and timely clearance and submission of all types of applications.
Back to top
Grant and Contract Administration
Awards are made to the University as the official grantee, or in special circumstances (for some private funds, only) to the UO Foundation on behalf of the University. The PI is responsible for the technical work but does not receive the award directly. SPS manages grants and contracts for the University as follows:
- Receipt, review and institutional acceptance of the official award document, both hard copy and electronic notices.
- Establishment of a new fund account and assignment of an Index number in the UO's financial system Banner FIS Grants Module in which the PI can charge expenditures and view details and balances for the project.
- Works with the PI, department grant administrators and funding agency staff to manage the award fiscally and administratively throughout the project period.
- Preparation and filing of financial reports and submission of periodic billings according to award requirements.
- Monitoring of regulatory mandates and advisement to PIs regarding changes in agency and federal regulations and University policies on grant administration.
- Liaison between PI and agency for administrative actions, including but not limited to no-cost extensions, budgt revisions, grant transfers, and changes in key personnel.
- Reconciliation of account for final close-out and submission of final financial report and other final documents such as equipment disposition and invention reports to sponsor.
Back to top