SPS Home     SPS Intranet     E-PCS  

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I have lost my Nation Science Foundation (NSF) FastLane password and I need to login. What can I do?

    Click the link at: https://identity.research.gov/sso/UI/Login?module=nsf&env=prvw&app=portal

    Click "Forgot Password." Enter your NSF ID and click "Send Temporary Password." You will be able to reset your password using the temporary password sent to your email address on file.

    For additional information about NSF FastLane/Research.gov Password Management, please visit the link at: About Password Management

  2. I have never registered for a NSF FastLane/Research.gov account, what do I need to do to be able to register?

    To register for a Fastlane/Research.gov account please click the link below for information: http://orsa.uoregon.edu/index.cfm?toplevcat=proposals&page=sp_NSF_registration

  3. I am filling in my Agency cover page and they are asking for a Tax Identification Number (TIN), where can I get this information?

    The TIN number and other frequently required University of Oregon (UO) information is available at http://orsa.uoregon.edu/index.cfm?toplevcat=proposals&page=pp_cover_page.

  4. I am submitting a proposal via FastLane and am collaborating with another university, how do I manage the collaborative proposal submission?

    Procedures for submitting collaborative proposals to NSF depend on whether UO is the lead institution. Consult the Grant Proposal Guide for guidelines and instructions on submitting collaborative proposals to NSF:  https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/policydocs/pappg19_1/index.jsp

  5. I am submitting a proposal with a sub-award to another University, what kind of documentation do I need from the other University?

    Please visit the link at: http://orsa.uoregon.edu/index.cfm?toplevcat=proposals&page=pp_subs

    For proposals in which UO is the lead organization and is subcontracting with another organization, Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) needs a detailed budget, budget justification, scope of work, letter of commitment (signed by an Authorized Representative of the subcontractor), a copy of the organization's F&A rate agreement, and a completed Subrecipient Certification Form. SPS strongly recommends these documents be provided to your SPS Pre-award SPA at least 10 days before the External Deadline.

  6. I am submitting a proposal to another University as a subcontractor, what do I need to send through SPS for approval?

    A proposal being submitted to another organization in which UO is a sub-awardee (a.k.a., "subcontractor," "sub-recipient") requires the same UO approval as other proposals. An Electronic Proposal Clearance System (E-PCS) record must be created and a budget, budget justification and scope of work must be uploaded into the record. Once reviewed and approved, your SPS SPA will prepare a Letter of Commitment (LOC) if the other organization requires or requests an LOC.

  7. I am submitting a revised budget that needs a signature from an authorized organizational representative. What does SPS need to process this information?

    For a revised budget that needs authorized organizational representative signatures, an E-PCS record must be created. SPS review of a revised budget and any other materials being submitted to the agency is required. The revised budget must be uploaded into the record. In addition, if any changes have been made to the project narrative a copy of the new narrative must be uploaded as well. Please contact your SPS Sponsored Projects Administrator (SPA) for questions.

  8. The agency I am applying to limits indirect costs to 10%, what do I need to do for UO to accept this rate?

    If the sponsor limits or does not allow Facilities and Administration (F&A), also called indirect costs, the investigator must provide documentation from the sponsor of the sponsor's limitation stating the F&A limitation. SPS will accept documentation of the limitation if the limitation is applied across all applicants for the sponsor or the sponsor's specific program.

  9. I am new to the proposal process and need to know what SPS needs to review and sign my proposal?

    You will first need to create an E-PCS record for your proposal. For assistance with E-PCS, contact your SPS Sponsored Projects Administrator (SPA).You will use this EPCS record to upload your proposal for SPS review and approval. 

  10. What is the turn-around time for proposals?

    SPS requires a minimum of three (3) business days to process a completed proposal. Proposals often require edits; drafts should be submitted as soon as possible.

  11. What kind of documentation is required for showing cost share in a proposal?

    Cost-sharing commitments should only be included when considered Mandatory. Any UO cost-share commitments must be indicated under the Cost Share Tab in the E-PCS record. All appropriate authorizing officials for the source(s) of the cost share funds must certify to the costs by approving the E-PCS record. External commitments must be entered under the Cost Share Tab as well. In addition, written documentation from external source is required. 

  12. I am writing a multi-year budget, how much should I increase budget categories each year?

    SPS encourages investigators to include a reasonable increase in all budget categories to account for inflation in subsequent budget years. Current Budgeting Rates and Annual Increases per budget Category can be viewed by visiting the Quick Reference Card at the link below:


    SPS provides Excel Budget Templates and the EPCS Budget Module which are programmed with current rates. For questions, please contact your SPS Sponsored Projects Administrator (SPA).

    You may also contact SPS at sponsoredprojects@uoregon.edu or phone 541-346-5131.