Awards are made to the University as the official grantee, or in special circumstances (for some private funds, only) to the UO Foundation on behalf of the University. The PI is responsible for the technical work but does not receive the award directly. SPS manages grants and contracts for the University as follows:
- Receipt, review and institutional acceptance of the official award document, both hard copy and electronic notices.
- Establishment of a new fund account and assignment of an Index number in the UO's financial system Banner FIS Grants Module in which the PI can charge expenditures and view details and balances for the project.
- Works with the PI, department grant administrators and funding agency staff to manage the award fiscally and administratively throughout the project period.
- Preparation and filing of financial reports and submission of periodic billings according to award requirements.
- Monitoring of regulatory mandates and advisement to PIs regarding changes in agency and federal regulations and University policies on grant administration.
- Liaison between PI and agency for administrative actions, including but not limited to no-cost extensions, budgt revisions, grant transfers, and changes in key personnel.
- Reconciliation of account for final close-out and submission of final financial report and other final documents such as equipment disposition and invention reports to sponsor.